MyBB-Plugins Forums
Manage myBB-accounts with external script? - Printable Version

+- MyBB-Plugins Forums (http://forums.mybb-plugins.com)
+-- Forum: MyBB General Discussion (http://forums.mybb-plugins.com/Forum-MyBB-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: Coding Help (http://forums.mybb-plugins.com/Forum-Coding-Help)
+--- Thread: Manage myBB-accounts with external script? (/Thread-Manage-myBB-accounts-with-external-script)

Manage myBB-accounts with external script? - HoverBaum - 07-22-2014

Hi everyone,

what I am trying to do is this: I have a service for which people create accounts and I want to provide a forum in which they can ask questions and give feedback. Now I would like to make it so that they automatically get an account for the forum once they register for my service and I would also like to make it so that they can only manage their account from my service resulting in them always having the same login-credentials for both.

For now I am concerned with creating an account on a myBB forum from a PHP script.
Looking through the tables myBB creates I so far have a created a method that takes the hashes password I generate using password_hash in PHP and taken the salt and hashed value from it. I inserted that together with a username and email into the mybb_users table. With that however I could not log in. After copy pasting the salt and password-hash from another user already in the table I could login. So I am guessing that I am doing something wrong with converting my hash to the one needed for myBB.

Code:
private function createForumAccount($firstName, $email, $password) {
        //Prepare entries
        $hash = substr($password, 29);
        $salt = substr($password, 7, 22);
        //Connect to forum Database
        global $fdbName;
        $fdb = new DatabaseConnector($fdbName);
        //Insert information
        $query = "INSERT INTO mybb_users (username, password, salt, email) VALUES ('$firstName', '$hash', '$salt', '$email')";
        $fdb->query($query);
    }

The password is generated using password_hash("password string", PASSWORD_BCRYPT) and $fdb is a mysqli based connection to the database of the forum. $password may look like "$2y$10$H66rqcmjTxu.rOo3JgoXq.zegE1V.yDouAqXyPu5bB25tEKShNjxO" for "12" as a password.
"$2y$10$" is the algorithm and the cost used to generate the hash.
The next 22 characters should be the salt and the last the hash.

What could I be doing wrong here?

Also:
Can I have two users in myBB with the same username? As I would like to use the first name of a user for their username.

Thanks for reading through this and for helping Angel

RE: Manage myBB-accounts with external script? - Diogo Parrinha - 07-23-2014

No, you cannot have two users with the same username. Regarding the salt, check the generate_salt() function. Then check salt_password()

RE: Manage myBB-accounts with external script? - HoverBaum - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 01:38 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: No, you cannot have two users with the same username. Regarding the salt, check the generate_salt() function. Then check salt_password()

Thanks for clearing that up.

I played around for a bit with this but couldn't get it to work properly. I could create users but they couldn't log in. Once I changed there password using the admin panel they could..
Found an outdated API for myBB that can create users which work, gonna work of of that.

RE: Manage myBB-accounts with external script? - Diogo Parrinha - 07-23-2014

Just create the salt and the hashed password using the functions I posted.