MyBB-Plugins Forums

Full Version: Changes to Subscriptions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

With the release of MyBB 1.8 getting near, I'll take the opportunity to revamp the subscriptions system. The website is not generating enough income for me to update the plugins often (I end up working on many custom plugins instead), therefore some very important changes will take place. Before taking this decision, I've studied why users subscribe to our plans as well as when they subscribe and how (automatic payments, direct payments, payment systems used, etc).

The idea of charging an annual fee in exchange plugins was first implemented in MyBB 3rd party websites a few years ago in another website. As it worked nicely, other 3rd party websites (like this one) decided to implement it. It worked well in the first years but the owners of those websites were very criticized for selling plugins for a free forum software.
Therefore I decided to only sell plugins that allowed the administrators to get income from their forums (subscriptions, donations, etc) and charge for support for my other plugins, which were released for free. Again, this worked well too, until I got my schedule completely full due to custom plugins for clients and I no longer had time to update the ones I was offering to subscribers. I believe everyone understands that I end up giving more time to custom plugins rather than the plugins I offer here, as there is a big difference between paying $7 per year and paying $20/h. Things get even harder when people in need of support, end up spending a lot of my time when they paid $7 for a year (it's not their fault, I decided to offer that in the subscription plans).

The new subscriptions system will allow me to sort the subscribers I have here. While the new changes won't please everyone (especially due to price changes), I believe the new system will suit everyone's needs.

I'd like to state that all lifetime subscriptions will remain untouched, so if you subscribed for lifetime, you have nothing to worry about. All automatic renewals have been cancelled so if you have an active subscription, it will not automatically renew when the renewal date is reached. Instead, the subscription will expire and you will be moved to your old group. Until then, you will be able to use all subscriber privileges without any problems.

I thought I should give everyone an explanation before implementing the changes so no one is caught in surprise.

Regards,
PN
So what's actually changing? Prices?
It will be announced when the time comes. Prices is one of them. It can be cheaper than current price under certain circumstances but it will be more expensive for most cases.