MyBB-Plugins Forums

Full Version: Website Hacked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Good afternoon everyone,

Unfortunately my account was compromised today and the hacker gained ACP access. He downloaded a backup of the database and therefore has access to everyone's emails and hashed and salted passwords.

I urge you, however, that you change your password immediately to avoid any further problems.

Drastic measures have been taken by me to make sure this never happens again. Let's hope they work properly!

Regards and my sincere apologies,
Pirata Nervo
So did they download all the plugins that we paid for? Was it a security vulnerability?
They downloaded the database only as far as I understood, not the files so regarding that you should have nothing to worry about. My password was compromised from what I understood. They gained ACP access and managed to install a shell. The website should be secure now, all files were re-uploaded and all directories scanned manually (hopefully I didn't miss anything).

The hacker forgot to clear the administrator logs so I quickly found out what he did and how he did it.
Any advice on how I could prevent such a hack from happening on my forum?
Or, what mistake(s) should I not make to prevent this on my forum?
My research didn't lead to any conclusive answers regarding how the hacker gained my password so I believe it was from some other website where I used the same password probably. Since everything else on the server uses different passwords, nothing else was compromised.

I'm currently developing a software which will stop this kind of attacks and possibly block all hacking attempts coming from a hacker that finds out the admin's password or somehow gains access to the admin's account. The software will be available somewhere else and won't be related to this website in any way. Its target niche will be small since it will be a bit expensive.
OK, please let me know when it's available for purchase. Thank you.
(04-19-2014, 02:19 AM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]My research didn't lead to any conclusive answers regarding how the hacker gained my password so I believe it was from some other website where I used the same password probably. Since everything else on the server uses different passwords, nothing else was compromised.

I'm currently developing a software which will stop this kind of attacks and possibly block all hacking attempts coming from a hacker that finds out the admin's password or somehow gains access to the admin's account. The software will be available somewhere else and won't be related to this website in any way. Its target niche will be small since it will be a bit expensive.
I'll make it public when it's out. I'm still figuring out the business plan Smile
There were no administrators added/removed so I don't think that plugin will suffice on cases similar to this one Glas.
If another admin account had been created, the plugin would disable the board and stop the attack but they used my account.
Pages: 1 2